This simple, delicious gluten free apple pie is what I often make for guests or take to share at potluck dinners. I serve it to everyone, but make sure that those who need to eat gluten free know it’s there. People who eat gluten also enjoy it without realizing how special this pie is!
Many times I also share Gluten Free Butter Tarts with the general population. Again, they don’t know the difference!
How to Make Gluten Free Apple Pie
Ontario Apple Growers has a handy Apple Usage Guide to show us which apples are best for baking.
How to Keep Sliced Apples from Turning Dark
Tossing the apples with lemon juice as you slice them helps to keep them from turning dark. The lemon juice also adds just a perfect touch of tartness.
However, if by chance someone doesn’t tolerate citrus well, as is the case for my husband, I replace the lemon juice with plain white vinegar. It will still keep the apples from turning dark and doesn’t adversely affect the flavour.
Gluten Free Pie Crust
To make this pie gluten free, you’ll need to use Gluten Free Pie Crust. Make sure the oven has fully preheated before you put the pie in. The sudden blast of heat is important to make the little bubbles of fat pop and turn into flakes of crust. If the oven were only warm, the crust would just sort of melt and turn heavy rather than flakey.
For the same reason, it’s important to keep the crust chilled. If you roll out the pastry before slicing your apples, set your lined pie plate into the fridge until you’re ready for it.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #CathysGlutenFree on Instagram. Enjoy your pie!
- 2 crusts gluten free pastry
- 4 cups apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup raw sugar, (turbinado)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice as you slice them. Then toss together with sugar and cinnamon. Let sit while you roll out the pastry for the crust.
- Roll out bottom pie crust and line a 9-inch (23cm) pie plate with it. Scoop in the apple mixture, and top with second crust. Pinch it around the edges, and poke a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F. Continue to bake for 30 minutes, or until apples are tender when poked with a knife through a slit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/8 pie
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 129 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 58mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 22g Protein: 1g