Green Apple Smoothie is a cool, refreshing drink that gives you plenty of vitamins and other wonderful nutrients without the need to add any special powders. This vegan, nut free, gluten free beverage is a great way to start your day or to enjoy for a mid-morning or mid afternoon pick-me-up!
My grandson loves green apples, so this recipe is dedicated to him.
As we've been living and traveling in our motorhome lately, I've been making lots of smoothies. They're a great way to consume fresh, whole food ingredients quickly and easily. Some of our other favourites are:
- Mango Pineapple Smoothie
- Apple Spinach Smoothie
- Mango Spinach Smoothie
- Cherry Berry Smoothie
- Healthy Green Smoothie
- Pineapple Spinach Smoothie
- Glowing Green Smoothie
- Apple Carrot Smoothie
- Green Apple - the star of the smoothie
- Apple Juice - provides liquid without the need for dairy or even a nut milk
- Banana - makes your smoothie sweet and creamy
- Lemon Juice - just a perfect little touch of tartness
- Cucumber, Spinach - lots of green nutritional goodness!
See recipe card for quantities.
Combine all of the smoothie ingredients in a blender.
Blend until smooth. You might need to pulse the blender a couple times to blend in large chunks, especially if you're not using a high speed blender.
Hint: To keep your smoothie cool, use chilled ingredients. Banana chunks might be frozen ahead of time. If none of this is possible, add 2 or 3 ice cubes to the mixture before blending.
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. A high speed blender does the best job of making a smoothie smooth and creamy. For a regular blender, you might need to chop the ingredients into smaller pieces before you start.
I like my Blendtec blender. It does a great job without sharp blades, so it's safe to clean. The fifth side on the Wildside jar helps to keep the ingredients consistently tossed back into the centre toward the blades.
If you don't drink all of your smoothie right away, keep the remainder stored in the refrigerator for a few hours. I do recommend consuming it all in the same day for best quality.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Don't over blend your smoothie, as friction from the blender could cause it to become warm. Starting with chilled ingredients (or frozen banana) helps with this.
Green Apple Smoothie
- 1 cup apple juice chilled
- 1 green apple cored and halved
- 1 banana peeled
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 3 -inch English cucumber
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth, possibly pulsing a couple of times to blend in the chunkier items.1 cup apple juice, 1 green apple, 1 banana, 1 handful fresh spinach, 3 -inch English cucumber, 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Frozen chunks of banana could replace the fresh banana in this recipe.
- If none of your ingredients have been chilled or frozen, you might want to add 2 or 3 ice cubes to your smoothie before processing.