Strawberry Slush is a refreshing drink bursting with fresh strawberry flavour, perfect for a hot, summer day! It has only 4 ingredients and is a healthy alternative to sugar-loaded cold drinks. This is a wonderful, non-alcoholic option for children and adults alike.
I love to buy fresh strawberries when I'm drawn to the smell of them in the store. That's when you know they'll taste good!
- Strawberries - Choose fresh, ripe, local berries. Quality really matters here, because the great thing about this drink is the way it brings out the tangy, fresh strawberry flavour.
- Lemon Juice - Simply squeeze the juice from one lemon for a fresh, tart pop to enhance the strawberry flavour.
- Maple Syrup - As a Canadian, I chose to sweeten this with pure maple syrup. I think honey would work just as well.
- Water and Ice - Adding water at first helps to make a smooth purée of strawberries. Then, you can pulse in the ice to make your drink slushy.
See recipe card for quantities.
Strawberry Slush Instructions
This is very quick and easy to make in a high speed blender.
Pour water into the jar of your blender up to the 1-cup line. Add lemon juice and maple syrup. Then, add whole, hulled strawberries up to the 3-cup line. Blend until smooth and taste for sweetness.
Add ice to bring the liquid up to the 4-cup mark. Pulse the blender in just a few quick bursts until you achieve the slushy consistency you desire. Garnish with a slice of lemon, if you wish, and enjoy!
Hint: If you choose to sweeten with raw honey rather than maple syrup, be certain to add as much as you will be wanting before you incorporate the ice. The ice will make raw honey turn solid.
Yes, you certainly can blend frozen strawberries. You might want to play with the balance of water and ice in your drink, compared to making it with fresh berries.
If you don't have maple syrup and aren't concerned about keeping this recipe vegan, you could substitute it with honey for natural sweetening. See the note above about blending it in well before adding ice.
Sometimes special equipment is nice to have, but not essential. For this recipe, you will need a high speed blender that can crush ice easily. I have used a Blendtec for years, and I love it.
This beverage is really best consumed right away. You could store leftovers in the refrigerator, but the drink will loose its slushy quality.
Fresh berries, in season for your local area, is what really makes this recipe pop!
More Refreshing Summer Drinks You'll Love!
- 1 high-speed blender
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 3 cups fresh strawberries washed and hulled
- 2 cups ice
- Measure 1 cup (250 ml) water into jar of high speed blender. Add lemon juice and maple syrup. Add hulled strawberries until they go up approximately to the 3-cup mark on the blender. Blend until smooth. This is a good time to taste the purée to adjust sweetener to your liking.1 cup water, 1 lemon (juice), 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, 3 cups fresh strawberries
- Add the ice and pulse the blender just a few times until the ice is broken into a nice slushy consistency.2 cups ice