Slow Cooker Chili is a thick, hearty, warming dish to come home to at the end of the day. You can make it in any slow cooker, but using the Instant Pot saves on dishwashing. This recipe is not too spicy, but you can add to that if you wish. It makes a nice, big batch, filling my 6-quart Instant Pot.
I've used a slow cooker for years and especially like the way stews and chilies blend their flavours with time. Although it's not instant, the Instant Pot has a slow cooker function. I appreciate the ability to brown my meat and any vegetables I want to in the same pot that they will cook in. There's less mess and cleanup later.
How Do I Use the Slow Cooker Setting on My Instant Pot?
Chili's taste benefits from time spent simmering. This recipe isn't runny enough to work well with the PRESSURE COOK setting on your Instant Pot. For the pressure setting to function, there needs to be a certain amount of liquid. If you try to use it with thick chili like this one, you're liable to activate the BURN warning.
As with many slow cooker recipes, this one starts out with onions and garlic sauteed in oil. Then, you'll add your meat and brown it before setting it to SLOW COOK.
I love the fact that the whole process is all done in the same pot! The Instant Pot is nice and deep, so you're not splattering all over your stove. And, you don't have the skillet to clean up later. Any browned bits stuck to the bottom will come off easily after hours spent stewing in tomato sauce.
Do I Need to Use the Pressure Valve for Slow Cooking?
No. For SLOW COOKing in your Instant Pot, you don't need to worry about messing with the pressure valve. Just leave it open the whole time.
How Long Does It Take to Cook Slow Cooker Chili?
You can be very flexible with the cooking time when you make slow cooker chili in the Instant Pot. This is a patient dish that waits until you're ready for it. I have served mine after as little as three hours on the SLOW COOK setting, but you could leave it as long as eight. The longer you let it sit, the more the flavours will blend.
Slow Cooker Chili also reheats very well on the stovetop the next day.
You might also like Slow Cooker Apple Cider Beef Stew.
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or coconut oil
- 3 large yellow cooking onions diced
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound 454 g ground beef
- 1 pound 454 g ground pork, or more ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 19 oz 540 mL can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 19 oz 540 mL can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 23 oz 680 mL can tomato sauce
- 1 28 oz 798 mL can diced tomatoes
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE. When HOT appears, add the oil. Saute onions and garlic in the hot oil until translucent. Add chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir.
- Add meat, stirring occasionally to brown it.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir occasionally until heated through.
- Put lid on Instant Pot, leaving vent open. Set to the SLOW COOK function. Cook for 3 to 8 hours.