What a moist and delicious snack this Sweet Potato Bread is! Moist sweet potatoes, pure maple syrup, and crunchy pecans simply combine to bake in a loaf pan and enjoy with coffee, for breakfast, or slathered with your favourite nut butter. I love that it’s free from gluten, dairy, and refined sugar.
GF Sweet Potato Loaf
The method is simple. Combine your dry ingredients. Whisk up the moist ones. Stir them together with the pecans, and scrape it all into a loaf pan to bake.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a great vegetable, because they taste delicious and provide many health benefits. They contain antioxidants, which help to defend the body from free radicals. They’re high in fibre, which aids good digestion. Research is being done into the role sweet potatoes might play in regulating blood sugar in type 2 diabetes.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes
There are many ways to cook sweet potatoes. You can roast, bake, boil, steam, or pressure-cook them. My favourite way to cook sweet potatoes for eating on their own is to cut scrubbed or peeled potatoes into chunks, toss them in some oil, and roast them with some wonderful seasoning. This would be the least desirable way to cook them for this recipe, though. I find that they would be too dry and spongy for good results.
This recipe was developed for a moister sweet potato such as that which boiling or steaming produces. If you have a baked sweet potato that was baked whole, so it’s still moist inside, that would probably work, too
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
My preferred method of cooking the sweet potatoes for this recipe is to use my pressure cooker. I peel the potatoes, cut them into large chunks, and cook them on high pressure for about 10 minutes. After the pressure has released, I drain and mash them to use in recipes such as this one. Extras could be measured out and frozen in portions for future baking. I would typically cook my sweet potatoes at meal time, enjoy a serving of hot, mashed sweet potatoes, and then put the rest away for making sweet potato bread later.
How to Make the Loaf
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Whisk the dry ingredients together.
Whisk the eggs.
Stir in the sweet potatoes.
Whisk in the oil, syrup, and vanilla.
Combine the two mixtures, and stir in the pecans.
Spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake, and cool on a wire rack.
If You’re Loving Sweet Potatoes:
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Sweet Potatoes and Sausage
- Creamy Sweet Potato Salad with Bacon
- Sweet Potato Frittata
- Ground Beef Skillet with Sweet Potatoes and Kale
- Sweet Potato Brownies
- Creamy Roasted Sweet Potato Soup (Dairy Free)
- Everything Seasoning with Roasted Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Dinner with Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Sweet Potato Bread
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk dry ingredients (flours through salt) together in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a larger bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Whisk the sweet potatoes into the eggs.
- Then, whisk in the oil, syrup and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Stir until blended.
- Stir in the pecan pieces.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when poked into the centre of the loaf. Allow to cool 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pan. Allow to cool completely before slicing.