Sheet Pan Dinner with Chicken and Vegetables is a complete, nourishing dinner on the table in under an hour! Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs produce moist, juicy chicken. Roasting brings out the best in root vegetables.
Sheet Pan Dinner with Chicken and Vegetables
Meat is nicest next to the bone. Thighs give you dark, moist meat. Leaving the skin on, at least while it cooks, helps to keep that moisture in. Get your chicken started while you chop up the vegetables, and dinner is done with a minimum of fuss!
I’m loving sheet pan dinners with their beautifully caramelized vegetables these days! They’re great for entertaining, because the vegetables can be prepped in advance.
I’ve picked up some great tips following the recipes of fellow Canadian food bloggers. From Elaine at Flavour & Savour, I’ve learned to place the baking sheet into the oven while it’s preheating. Then it’s nice and hot for your vegetables to brown up quickly.
When I made Aimee’s One-Pan Roast Sausages with Winter Vegetables, I loved the magic that happened when a lemon was added near the end and then squeezed all over the finished vegetables. So, I’ve incorporated that, too!
Vegetable Prep Tip
You can leave your vegetables in rather large chunks for this dish. However, feel free to vary the size according to the vegetables you happen to have and personal preference. The smaller you cut them, the faster they will cook. The important thing is to keep them all sized as consistently as possible, so they’ll cook evenly.
Of course, you can vary the choice of vegetables that you use. Just try not to let them get overcrowded on your pans.
Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- 2 pounds (1kg) chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 parsnips
- 2 small beets
- 2 red onions
- 4 small carrots
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line one large or two small baking sheets with foil for easy cleanup. Place empty sheets into preheating oven.
- Peel sweet potato and cut into large wedges.
Peel parsnips and cut in half crosswise. Cut thick end in half lengthwise.
Peel beets and cut into large chunks.
Peel onion and cut into large chunks.
Peel carrots and cut in half crosswise. Cut thick end in half lengthwise if necessary.
Trim ends of Brussels sprouts and cut any large ones in half.
- Combine herbs and seasonings in a small bowl.
- Toss chicken thighs with a tablespoon of the oil and half of the seasoning mixture.
- Place chicken pieces onto hot baking sheet, well spaced out. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Toss vegetables with a tablespoon of oil and remaining seasoning mixture.
- Add them to the baking sheets with the chicken. Spread them out in a single layer with as much space between pieces as possible. Bake for another 10 minutes.
Tuck a whole lemon into a corner of one baking sheet and continue to bake for another 10 minutes or until vegetables are done.
- Cut lemon in half crosswise and squeeze the juice over the meat and vegetables. Serve.