This easy sweet potato frittata has only six ingredients, no dairy or gluten, and tastes delicious! It’s made in one pan and is lovely for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
One evening while we were staying in Missouri this summer, I needed to come up with a quick dinner that I could make in our little trailer kitchen. We had just arrived that afternoon. I hadn’t known exactly what our dinner plans would be. Therefore, I hadn’t planned a menu or gone grocery shopping for a few days. This happy surprise is what I put together with what I had in the trailer.
The “secret” ingredient that makes this frittata especially tasty is my Gluten Free Spice Mix. If you’ve been with me for awhile, you’ll know how much I love my versatile spice mix! I especially like to take it with me when we travel, because I can make many different things with it and don’t have to haul a whole bunch of spices to and from the trailer.
While you have the seasoning mix prepared, you might also want to put Ground Beef Skillet with Sweet Potatoes and Kale on your menu.
COOKING THE SWEET POTATO FRITTATA
It’s very convenient to be able to cook the sweet potatoes in the same pan as everything else without adding liquid. The layer of coconut oil and onions seems to keep them from sticking. Ideally, a frittata is finished off under the broiler in the oven. If you don’t have an oven (Many trailers don’t.), just turn the heat down at the end, and keep your frittata tightly covered until the eggs are done on top. Yes, it will be a bit of a guess if you can’t see through the lid.
SUPPLIES FOR THIS RECIPE
Click here for the recipe for the spice mix. It will make a batch that will keep for six months in a jar.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow cooking onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, julienned
- 2 teaspoons Cathy's Gluten Free Spice Mix
- 5 medium eggs, whisked
- Heat oven-safe frying pan over medium heat. Melt coconut oil.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes until they become transparent.
- Add sweet potatoes. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until they become tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add spice mix. Stir.
- Turn the heat back up to medium. Pour the whisked eggs over everything else. Cover, and cook until the eggs are beginning to set around the edges.
- Pop the whole pan under a broiler in the oven for a minute or two just to finish off the top. Serve.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.