This homemade gluten free Spice Mix is a convenient, versatile component in lots of different dishes. By buying your dried herbs and spices in bulk, you’ll save money. Put them together into your own seasoning mix, and you have more control over what’s in your food.Gluten Free Spice Mix
If you cook and spend time in a cottage, motorhome, or travel trailer, as I do, you’ve probably experienced the dilemma of wondering which spices to pack and then realizing you don’t have the ones you need! Having a pre-made spice mix that you like is a great time saver. Once it’s made, you can just add this one seasoning to any of a number of dishes.
Homemade Gluten-Free Beef Seasoning Mix
This spice mix is made ahead and works to season a pot roast, hamburgers, or to rub generously all over steaks before grilling them. It’s the secret to the fantastic flavour in Ground Beef Skillet with Sweet Potato and Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata. Keep watching here for more recipes that use it. Better still, follow the blog, so you never miss any recipes!
Feel free to double or triple this recipe if you find that you’re using it up quickly. However, any dried herbs or ground spices should be used within six months for maximum freshness.
Spice Mix Ingredients
- Sea salt is made from evaporated ocean water rather than being mined underground. It contains trace minerals. I use Celtic Sea Salt.
- Black pepper, ground from peppercorns, is said to improve digestion by stimulating the secretion of hydrochloric acid.
- Garlic powder, made from dried garlic, is used for convenience,
- Onion powder, also made by grinding the dehydrated real deal, adds flavour without moisture.
- Thyme, from the mint family, matches well with chicken, lamb, and pork as well as beef.
- Rosemary, another popular Mediterranean herb, has historically been used to strengthen memory because of its unforgettable fragrance and aroma.
- Dried mustard, made by grinding mustard seeds, adds a familiar zip to a recipe.
- Smoked paprika is the Spanish cousin of Hungarian paprika. It’s made from pimento peppers that have been dried, smoked, and ground.
- Ground coriander seed comes from the same plant you may also know as cilantro.
- Red pepper flakes, or crushed red pepper, is simply made by drying little red hot chilli peppers and crushing them. We make our own at home.
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients together and store in a jar.