Everything Seasoning is an amazingly versatile mixture of toasted sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic, onion, and salt. I'm just loving it on roasted vegetables, eggs, bagels, garlic bread sticks, and avocado toast!
By now, you'll know how I like to save time and money by mixing up my own gluten free seasoning blends to use in a number of different ways.
This blend was inspired by Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend . Many variations of everything bagel mix now exist. Why am I adding another one? Honestly, I just love it so much that I wanted to have it in my recipe collection. Indeed, I use it for everything but bagels! I was first inspired to make this from a similar recipe in the January issue of House & Home magazine. I've simplified it a little by using only white sesame seeds. Unlike some of the other recipes out there, I do toast my sesame seeds. I use garlic powder because it's a pantry staple for me. If you have dried garlic on hand, use a little more of it.
Everything Seasoning Mix
As with many of my recipes, this mix makes more than enough for this recipe. Try it on eggs, stir it into butter, toss it into salad, or add it to hummus. Make it once, and it will save you time on several meals.
What Else to Put Everything Seasoning on
This versatile seasoning is also amazing on roasted vegetables! Just peel and cut up your vegetables into chunks of uniform size. If you're short on time, cut them a little smaller. One of the secrets to great roasted vegetables is to place your baking sheet into the oven while it's preheating. Spreading out your veggies onto a hot pan helps them to crisp up nicely. Thanks to fellow Canadian food blogger Elaine at Flavour and Savour for this great tip!
These roasted vegetables go well with a nice Grilled Beef Steak.
Everything Seasoning with Roasted Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups hearty vegetables such as sweet potato parsnips, carrots, red onion, brussels sprouts, cut into uniform pieces
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons Everything Seasoning divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Toast sesame seeds for 2 minutes in preheated oven on a baking sheet.
- Combine onion flakes, poppy seeds, salt, garlic powder, and toasted sesame seeds.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 F. Place one large or two smaller baking sheets into the preheating oven.
- With vegetables peeled and cut into pieces of approximately the same size so they cooked evenly, toss them with the avocado oil.
- Toss 1 tablespoon Everything Seasoning with oil-coated vegetables.
- When oven and pan have preheated, spread out the the vegetables onto the hot pan, leaving space between pieces.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until vegetables are done, turning once partway through. Cooking time will depend on the size of the vegetable pieces.
- Sprinkle another tablespoon of Everything Seasoning over cooked vegetables, if desired.