Roasted sweet potatoes and onions impart delicious depth of flavour to this Creamy Roasted Sweet Potato Soup. Top it off with the deliciousness of bacon, if you like!
This soup is quick and easy to make but is also suitable to make ahead and reheat to serve. Free of dairy, gluten, grains, and nuts, with a vegan option, it’s suitable for almost any diet.
We’re deep into winter in this part of the world, and it’s nice to cozy up indoors with a bowl of warm, flavourful soup. Sweet potatoes are amazing! They are a very versatile source of vitamins and minerals. Creamy Roasted Sweet Potato soup simmering on the stove releases a delicious aroma to welcome family or guests!
Sweet Potato Soup
I like that the sweet potatoes are roasted in the oven along with an onion for this recipe. Roasting is my new favourite way to cook vegetables! While you’re roasting yours, heat up your broth, so it’s ready for the vegetables when they’re done. When everything is soft, puree the soup with an immersion blender right in the pot. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender. Be careful when working with a hot liquid; blend in small batches.
As in any soup, the quality of your broth, or stock, makes all the difference. It’s really easy to make your own by simmering a pot full of bones covered in water with a tablespoon of sea salt and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for several hours.
Dairy Free, Gluten Free
The flavour of coconut milk pairs beautifully with sweet potatoes and allows dairy-intolerant people to enjoy this creamy soup. No thickener is needed, so there are no concerns about gluten.
Soup, Salad and Sandwich Lunch
If you make this soup, or any of my recipes, I’d love for you to share a picture of your creation on Instagram with the hashtag #cathysglutenfree 🙂
Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 large cooking onion peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups bone broth (or vegetable broth for vegan)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 400 mL 13.5 oz can (1 1/2 cups) coconut milk
- 4 slices bacon cooked until crisp and chopped for garnish (optional)
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Toss together vegetables with oil, thyme, cumin, and salt.
- Roast on foil-lined baking sheet for 25 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat stock in a large pot. When the vegetables are finished, add them to the stock along with the black pepper and coconut milk.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until as smooth as desired. Allow the soup to simmer and blend the flavours until ready to serve.
- Garnish with chopped bacon and parsley just before serving, if desired.