Gluten Free Lavender Biscotti are nutty, slightly crunchy, and lovely with a cup of Earl Grey tea.
This Gluten Free Lavender Biscotti recipe was inspired by a trip to the little Bayfield farmers’ market in the village of Bayfield, Ontario. Charlie and I like to visit Bayfield occasionally. Its little beach, historic main street with unique shops and restaurants, and quaint small-town feel draw us back time after time.
The Bayfield Farmers’ Market runs early Friday evenings from May to October. All of the vendors’ wares are grown or produced within 75km. As we strolled through the market one evening, the scent of lavender drew me in. A lady was selling lavender biscotti. Charlie got to taste a sample. It wasn’t gluten-free, so I didn’t have any. However, I have never forgotten about that lavender biscotti. I needed to try a gluten free version!
I’ve been working on this recipe for months, making many test batches which we’ve enjoyed sharing with friends. Finally, it has reached the point where I’m ready to share it with you.
I made my biscotti with lavender from my own plants that grow beside our house. You can use either fresh or dried lavender. However, don’t use lavender that is sold for craft or potpourri purposes. Who knows what might have been added to it!
What’s my scientific method for drying lavender? I picked a bunch of it at the beginning of July, washed it off, stuck it in a vase without water, and went away on holidays for a month!
Storing Gluten Free Lavender Biscotti
I recommend keeping some lavender biscotti in the freezer. Whenever a friend pops in for tea or coffee, you can pull a few out. They’ll be thawed and edible by the time your drink is ready!
If you’ll be eating your Lavender Biscotti within a few days, keep them well sealed in the refrigerator to maintain crispness.
Here’s the Process
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lavender flowers, dried or fresh
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse in the lavender.
- Add the wet ingredients, and process until blended.
- Spread the batter out onto the parchment lined baking sheet and form into a "log" about 2 1/2- to 3-inches wide by about 15-inches long. (6.35 - 7.62 cm X 38.1 cm)
- Bake on a high rack in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Slice cooled "log" crosswise into 1/2-inch (1.27 cm) slices. Arrange them on their sides back onto the parchment paper used previously. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, turn over, and bake for about another 5 minutes.
- Store cooled biscotti in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They also freeze well.