A Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Sweet Potatoes and Sausage is warm and lovely topped off by a soft, fried egg and Everything Seasoning.
I developed this recipe out of a desire for a high protein breakfast. I’ve become aware of the need for women of a certain age to keep up their protein intake. So, I’m using an app to track what I eat, keeping an especially close eye on calories and protein. It’s challenging to get enough protein. The calories are not a problem! This seems to be the only way I can keep my weight in check. Eating a hearty breakfast like this helps to keep me from excess eating and snacking throughout the day.
It’s Not Just for Breakfast
A hot bowl makes a great breakfast when you have time to make it. I work from home and am up a few hours before I start to eat, so making this is not a problem for me. I also really enjoy it for lunch, and there’s no reason why you couldn’t make it for dinner!
The recipe feeds six, so it’s ideal for a weekend breakfast for family or friends, too.
Sources of Protein
Protein is essential for muscle development, and muscles burn more calories than fat does. So bring on the protein! Good sources of protein are:
- nuts and seeds
- lentils and beans
Is quinoa healthier than oatmeal?
Lately, in my quest for more protein, I’ve been looking to quinoa for breakfast. While quinoa seems like a grain and is often classified as such, it’s actually a seed or pseudograin. Read more about that here.
- gluten free (oatmeal is not unless it’s certified gluten free)
- higher in protein (oatmeal is good, but quinoa has more)
- a complete protein (containing all of the essential amino acids)
- higher in fibre than oatmeal
What if I can’t find sausage meat?
This is actually a problem I often face in the small town where I live. When I can’t find bulk sausage, I buy link sausage and remove it from the casing. Usually, it comes out fairly easily when I grab each link around the middle and squeeze the meat out each end.
Use whatever kind of nicely-flavoured sausage you like for this recipe. I like honey garlic. If you prefer something spicier, go for it! If eating gluten free is important to you, read the label carefully. Many types of sausage contain gluten.
If you’re not sure what ingredients on the label indicate gluten, grab my Gluten List which has hundreds of ingredients arranged in alphabetical order.
You can purchase Everything Seasoning, but it’s very easy to make your own. The recipe is right here. That way, you can save money and be assured that yours is gluten free. Once you have it, you’ll enjoy it on all sorts of things like:
How to Make Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Cook some quinoa.
Add roasted sweet potato.
Sprinkle on cooked sausage.
Slip on an egg.
Add tomatoes, avocado, Everything Seasoning, and salsa.
More Gluten Free Hearty Breakfast/Lunch Recipes
- Omelette Muffins
- Gluten Free Avocado Toast with Poached Egg
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Sweet Potatoes and Sausage
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Breakfast Bowl with Eggs
Quinoa Bowl with Sweet Potatoes and Sausage
- 4 cups (1.25 lb) sweet potato peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 pound sausage meat
- 6 eggs
- 12 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 1/3 tablespoons Everything Seasoning divided
- 1/2 cup salsa optional
- Place an empty baking sheet into the oven and preheat it to 400°F. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Toss the chunks with 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning halfway through. They're done when they're soft on the inside and browning on the outside.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and about 4 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain the quinoa and stir 1 teaspoon of Everything Seasoning it.
- While the sweet potatoes and quinoa are cooking, heat a tablespoon of avocado oil in frying pan. Brown the sausage meat, stirring and chopping up chunks as it cooks.
- When everything has about finished cooking, heat third tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Fry the eggs to desired doneness.
- To assemble bowls, place quinoa in bottom.
- Scatter sweet potatoes over quinoa.
- Sprinkle ground sausage over sweet potatoes.
- Top each serving with an egg.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes, sliced avocado, and tablespoon of Everything Seasoning.
- Optionally, serve with tomato salsa.