This Flourless Chocolate Cake is rich, moist, and decadent! It's a five-ingredient flourless chocolate cake made healthier!
There are lots of recipes for flourless chocolate cake on the internet. It's a great gluten free dessert option often offered on restaurant menus. As I like to do, I've taken it a step further and made it healthier by including easily-digestible coconut oil.
Flourless Chocolate Cake - Five Ingredients!
This recipe is free from dairy if you use dairy free chocolate. Although I had been using semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate to bake this cake, I tried it with unsweetened dark chocolate and like it just as well.
You can choose whether you want to sweeten it with coconut palm sugar or organic raw sugar.
Coconut Oil (melting tips)
As always, melt your chocolate over a low heat. In this recipe, it melts nicely with your coconut oil. You can do this by setting the dish containing your chocolate and coconut oil in a pan of simmering water.
If you have a warm setting on your stove top, you can set a pyrex measuring cup right on it.
Another option would be to briefly set the pyrex cup into the preheating oven with only the coconut oil in it. When the coconut oil has melted, you can stir in your broken or chopped chocolate pieces. The heat from the oil and the pyrex will probably melt your chocolate with a couple of stirs.
Whichever method you choose to melt your chocolate and coconut oil mixture, you need to be aware of its temperature before incorporating it with the egg yolks. You don't want it to be so hot that it cooks the yolks. However, you don't want it to be so cool that the chocolate and coconut oil are beginning to solidify, either.
For best results, bring your eggs to room temperature before you begin. Cold egg yolks might cause your chocolate and coconut oil to solidify too quickly.
Choose a good, pure cocoa powder for this recipe. For even better health benefits, use raw cacao powder.
Make it Pretty!
This step is entirely optional, but you might like to sprinkle a little coconut milk powder over your finished creation. I shook mine on through a little mesh strainer.
Dairy Free Desserts
Here are some more gluten free, dairy free desserts you might like!
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 275 F.
- Melt 1/2 cup coconut oil and semisweet chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat when they are just soft enough to be whisked smooth. Allow to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, separate eggs by putting whites into a large mixing bowl and the yolks into a medium one.
- Whisk egg yolks together with coconut palm sugar and cocoa powder until smooth. Slowly add the melted coconut oil and chocolate mixture. Beat until well combined.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir 1/4 of beaten egg whites into the chocolate-egg yolk mixture. Then gently fold in remaining whites, being careful not to mix more than necessary. Carefully pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes or until centre is set. Allow to cool in pan before removing sides of pan and serving.
- Sprinkle cooled cake with a little coconut milk powder, if desired.