This Mango Avocado Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing just might be my new favourite salad! The sweetness of mango blends with the creaminess of avocado, crunch of kale, colours of beets and carrots, and optional protein to form a most delightful meal!
Mango Avocado Salad Inspiration
I first discovered this salad when we stopped at a Coffee Culture restaurant on our way home from our anniversary weekend away. Coffee Culture Cafe & Eatery is a small chain of coffee shops in southern Ontario. We used to have one in our own small town, and I was very sad to lose it. Although we have one of the famous Canadian doughnut places that became popular for fresh coffee, the Coffee Culture restaurant was the only place in town with an espresso machine. It was the destination for a fancy coffee, soup, salad, sandwich, or special dessert. Sadly, it seems that high utility bills for a larger-than-necessary space drove our local cafe to close.
Can I Eat Goat Cheese with a Casein Allergy?
I am sensitive to casein, but my naturopathic doctor tells me that I can have goat milk products. You should check with yours if you’re wondering whether or not some dairy products might be right for you. While I must avoid most cheeses, I happily seek out goat cheese these days. Goat cheese is a nice, tangy addition to salads!
Honey Dijon (Mustard) Dressing
Especially for this salad, I developed a honey mustard dressing that’s free from refined sugars. It’s easy to make, and when you do, you’ll want to use it on lots of other salads, too!
If you happen to have some cooked chicken or turkey on hand, it works great in this salad. If you don’t, cook some up following these directions.
Other Salads that Use Leftover, Cooked Meat
Mango Avocado Salad with Chicken and Honey Dijon Dressing
- 6 cups spring lettuce mix
- 3 cups kale removed from stems and chopped
- 1 mango peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 carrot cut into toothpicks
- 1-2 beets cut into toothpicks
- 6 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 6 tablespoons goat cheese crumbled
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
Honey Dijon Dressing
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Layer the salad ingredients onto plates.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake together. Drizzle over the salad.