This Broccoli Slaw recipe with Chicken, Blueberries, and Almonds is a wonderful one dish meal! It's great for packing in lunches (just keep it chilled) or for a light dinner on a hot day. I've been making it for years.
Those of you who've been with me for awhile will know how much I love recipes that use leftover, cooked chicken. We like to purchase rather large roasting chickens from the farmers' market, so there is lots of leftover cooked meat. This habit comes from the days when we used to raise our own meat chickens on our farm. It's a great way to feed a family!
Otherwise, you might have leftover rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to use. If not, it's pretty easy to cook up some boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. When they're on sale, I'll stock up, cook and slice them, and keep a supply of cooked, sliced chicken in the freezer.
Cooked chicken comes in handy for
- Easy Chicken Salad with Mango
- Festive Cranberry Salad with Chicken and Pecans
- Mango Avocado Salad with Chicken
- on a Garden Salad with Simple Herb Vinaigrette or Honey Mustard Dressing
Healthy Broccoli Slaw Recipe
I can't overestimate the health benefits of this dish! Most of us need to eat more cruciferous vegetables which include cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, radishes, bok choy, and broccoli. They are valuable because of the sulforaphane and glucosinolates that they contain. Studies indicate that these plant powerhouses help to prevent cancer and clogged arteries which lead to heart attacks and strokes.
Looking for More Things to Make with Broccoli?
Making Broccoli Slaw
Broccoli slaw uses chopped broccoli and chopped almonds. There are a number of ways you can get there. You might buy pre-chopped broccoli and almonds. You can chop them up yourself by hand, or you can use a food processor.
I have used a food processor for decades, as it can be used for making almost every meal and saves a lot of time in the kitchen. If you need to eat gluten free, you may find that you're preparing more of your own food from scratch than ever before. I would highly recommend a food processor, and can't be without mine! The one I've been using for a few years now and am really happy with is the Cuisinart 8-cup machine.
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
How to Toast Almonds
To toast your almonds, preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the nuts out onto a baking sheet and set it into the preheated oven. Watch closely, checking after 3 minutes. Don't leave them in longer than 4. Then immediately remove the toasted almonds and pour them into a single layer on a plate to cool.
A toaster oven is very handy for little tasks like this. I use and like this Hamilton Beach Easy Reach one.
Vegan Cashew Yogurt
I used my own Vegan Cashew Yogurt for this recipe. It's handy to keep in the refrigerator for all sorts of purposes.
I haven't tested this recipe with any other kind of yogurt recently, but I probably used to make it with dairy. If you make this broccoli slaw, I'd love to hear about your results and what kind of yogurt you used. As always, I welcome comments in the form below the recipe! Five stars would be awesome, too! Thanks in advance!
Broccoli Slaw with Blueberries, Almonds, and Chicken
- 1/3 cup cashew yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 head broccoli including stems
- 4 ounces cooked chicken or turkey shredded or chopped
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup almonds toasted
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pulse toasted almonds briefly in food processor or chop by hand. Add to dressing in bowl.
- Cut any woody base from the broccoli. Peel the stem, if desired. Then chop the entire head of broccoli, including the stem, into small pieces. (If using a food processor, cut the broccoli into large chunks and pulse in processor to chop evenly. Add to dressing and almonds.
- Add chicken and blueberries to the bowl of other ingredients and toss everything together. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 days and serve.