Take your classic chicken salad up a notch with deliciously sweet, juicy mango! Turkey leftovers, or any cooked chicken for that matter, reach a whole new tasty level with red pepper, green onion, and just a touch of heat in the creamy dressing. Because this is so quick and easy to assemble, it's perfect for the day after a big turkey meal.
I love that this easy chicken salad suits gluten free and dairy free diets. It's also very low in sugar.
And, you control the spice level. There's a little heat in the creamy dressing. If you don't want any at all, leave it out. If you'd like more, increase the hot sauce.
What You'll Need
- Poultry - Either cooked chicken or turkey will work here. This recipe is perfect for leftover Roast Chicken or Turkey. If you'd like to cook some boneless breasts or thighs from scratch to make this, I have directions for that, too. Or, you might just want to use some rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- Mango - Choose a nice, ripe, sweet mango that's soft and juicy. Peel it, and carefully cut the flesh away from the pit in small chunks.
- Mayonnaise - I use my own homemade mayonnaise, but you can use the store-bought kind if you wish. It's up to you.
- Yogurt - This salad is dairy free when it's made with my Vegan Cashew Yogurt. If dairy is not a concern for you, use any plain Greek yogurt. You can also omit the yogurt entirely and replace it with more mayonnaise.
- Hot sauce - You may want to adjust the amount of hot sauce in this recipe depending on the heat level of your particular sauce and your personal preferences.
How to Make It
Stir the salad dressing ingredients together.
Assemble everything else.
Stir it all together.
Chicken is a good source of protein that is low in fat, contains no carbs, and has very little effect on blood sugar levels. With added raw fruit and vegetables, probiotics in yogurt, and homemade mayonnaise with simple, clean ingredients, this salad is particularly healthful.
This salad will keep 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator.
I would not recommend freezing this Chicken Salad with Mango. While the meat would be fine, the mango, pepper, and onion would not have a pleasant texture upon thawing.
I have a few salad recipes for cooked chicken or turkey, because I love the delicious options for making meals up quickly with cooked meat! And, I also love mango! Have you tried my Chicken Mango Avocado Salad, Festive Cranberry Salad with Chicken and Pecans, or Chicken Waldorf Salad? There's also Avocado and Mango Salad with no chicken.
Chicken Salad with Mango
- 3 cups (420 g) cooked chicken or turkey coarsely chopped
- 1 mango peeled, pitted, and chopped
- ½ sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon (1.6 g) fresh mint finely chopped
- Stir the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the main ingredients and mix together.
- To simplify preparation, mix everything in one large bowl. Start by mixing the salad dressing in the bottom; then add and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- The salad will keep for a few days in the refrigerator.