Imagine a combination of apples, grapes, nuts, dried cranberries, and chicken salad served on a nice bed of fresh greens. This classic favourite was inspired by the Chicken Waldorf Salad I usually order from the menu at a favourite Michigan restaurant. Easy Chicken Salad really shines when it's topped with nuts and fruit. Drizzle on some delicious refined-sugar-free Raspberry Vinaigrette, and you'll want to keep coming back for more!
A balanced meal in one dish, this is perfect for a special lunch or light dinner. It's equally as ideal for entertaining friends on the patio as it is for packing up and taking with you to work for a midday treat.
What You'll Need
- Chicken Salad - This is a great opportunity to use the Chicken Salad recipe that I posted earlier. It's made with cooked chicken that may be leftover from a whole roasted chicken, a rotisserie chicken, or cooked fresh. Having some made up ahead will speed your preparation of this Chicken Waldorf.
- Salad Greens - Use your favourite salad lettuce here. I like to save time by buying the pre-washed organic spring mix that comes in a box.
- Raspberry Vinaigrette - If you already have a favourite raspberry vinaigrette, go ahead and use it for this salad. For a pure, wholesome, refined-sugar-free dressing, try my Raspberry Vinaigrette.
How to Make It
Meal Prep Tips
This salad is very easy to make if you've already prepped or purchased the key ingredients. Then, it's simply a matter of layering them all together.
Slice the grapes in half. Using a very sharp knife, line them up about three at a time and slice through the centres. Be sure to keep your fingers out of the way!
Core and slice the apple. Dipping the slices in lemon juice will help to keep them from turning brown.
Arrange lettuce in a serving bowl or on individual plates. Add grapes, apples, cranberries, and walnuts. Top it with a big scoop of chicken salad. Serve with Raspberry Vinaigrette to drizzle over it all.
The original Waldorf salad was a blend of apples, celery, and mayonnaise created for a charity ball at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in the late 1800's. Chicken, nuts, and dried fruit have been added through time.
Each of the individual components of the salad can be prepared ahead of time, with the possible exception of the apples. If you'd like to slice or chop the apples early, too, coat them well with raspberry vinaigrette or the mayonnaise that's used in the chicken salad. That will preserve them better for longer than lemon juice alone.
More Delicious Salads with Cooked Chicken...
- Easy Chicken Salad with Mango
- Broccoli Slaw with Chicken, Blueberries, and Almonds
- Chicken Mango Avocado Salad
- Festive Cranberry Salad with Chicken and Pecans
Chicken Waldorf Salad
- Slice grapes in half.
- Core and slice the apple. You can dip the slices in lemon juice to keep them from browning if you're not serving the salad immediately.
- Arrange salad greens on each serving plate. Add grapes, apple slices, walnuts, and cranberries. Scoop chicken salad into the centre. Drizzle with raspberry vinaigrette.
- The ingredients may be prepped ahead of time, but assemble the salad just before serving.
- If you're chopping the apples ahead of time, coat them in raspberry vinaigrette or mayonnaise to keep them from browning.