Broccoli Stir Fry is the best way to cook broccoli when you're in a hurry and want a simple, tasty vegetable in minutes! This is an easy, six-ingredient, one-pot recipe that makes a very nutritious side dish!
We should probably all be eating more broccoli. Dr. Kimberley O'Brien, creator of the Elimination Diet Meal Plan explains that it activates our liver enzymes to promote detoxification and help prevent chemically induced cancers. So, let's eat our broccoli!
Broccoli can be roasted, steamed (meh!), or boiled (Don’t do it!), but I preferred it fried - stir-fried, that is! This broccoli stir fry is free from gluten, dairy, and general inflammation-inducing ingredients, especially if you omit the red pepper.
What You'll Need
- Broccoli - Choose nice, fresh broccoli. Use the florets, chopped stems, and all.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut oil withstands some heat, so it's safe for cooking. The flavour adds a nice dimension to this dish, too.
- Broth - This is the secret to the great flavour in this recipe. The best broth is homemade broth. If you must purchase your broth and you need to avoid gluten, check the label carefully as many of them contain gluten. Watch out for ingredients on this Gluten List.
- Coconut Aminos - made from fermented sap of the coconut palm, and a good substitute for soy sauce. Most soy sauce has gluten in it.
- Honey - There are health benefits to consuming raw honey. Purchase local honey when you can.
- Sea Salt - a great source of minerals and electrolytes
- Red Pepper - totally optional, but it makes the dish pretty!
How to Make It
Cook the broccoli a little in some hot oil.
Add the salt and broth, and cook until most of the liquid evaporates.
Turn off the heat, and add the coconut aminos and honey.
Sprinkle with chopped red pepper, if you like.
No, it is not necessary to blanch the broccoli before stir frying. In fact, you should be careful not to cook it too much during the initial frying step. Otherwise it could become overdone as you cook down the broth.
Stir-fried broccoli is very healthy. Because the vegetable is not overcooked, it retains more of its nutrients than it would if you boiled it. Since this recipe doesn't contain any unhealthy ingredients, it's especially good!
What to Serve with Broccoli
Broccoli Stir Fry is great on rice. It goes well with:
- Trim broccoli. Cut into florets. Slice stems thinly.
- Heat oil in frying pan or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add broccoli in two batches, turning heat to high as you add the first batch. Stir constantly until it’s bright green, 5 minutes or less. Remove the first batch to cook the second batch.
- Then return all broccoli to pan along with the broth and a sprinkle of sea salt. Stir as you continue to cook until almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and stir in the coconut aminos and honey. Sprinkle with chopped red pepper, if using.
- You can use the stems as well as the florets of the broccoli, but you might want to discard the tough end and peel some of what remains.
- There should be just a little juice left in the pan to pour over rice.
- Serve warm.