Baked Overnight Oats is one big pan of warm comforting berries, raisins, nuts, and oats that's made the night before and popped into the oven to bake and be enjoyed in the morning. It's the perfect thing for breakfast entertaining. I love having a healthy breakfast that's also such a treat!
The leftovers are good a few days later, too. They're fine cold if you're in a hurry. If you can warm them up in a covered dish for 10 minutes at 300 degrees F, they're even better. We use our toaster oven. You could reheat the leftovers in a microwave, if you have one. We've been enjoying my test batch for days. This stuff is good!
Origin of This Baked Overnight Oats Recipe
We spent Christmas with my daughter and her family. She is a great menu planner, and of course we put special attention into planning the holiday meals. We needed something special for Christmas morning, and she has really been into overnight oats lately. At the same time, this recipe for Overnight Oatmeal Cookie Casserole from Food Bloggers of Canada crossed my screen.
I made several changes to the FBC recipe, the most important one for me being the certified gluten free oats. Since neither of us is overly fond of bananas (although our husbands love them!), we replaced bananas with berries. I used dairy free milk and raw cane sugar to suit my dietary preferences. Then at home, I tested the recipe again with coconut sugar. The recipe I bring you here is the delicious result of that evolution.
Are Overnight Oats Gluten Free?
Overnight oats are gluten free if you make them with certified gluten free oats. The certification is especially important with oats, because without it they have most likely been contaminated by wheat. Read more about that in Start Here.
How to Serve Overnight Oats
You can pour your favourite milk over your overnight oats, but I like mine just as is. It's delicious, cozy, and comforting scooped from the pan hot out of the oven. Yum!
Dairy Free Overnight Oats
These overnight oats are easily made dairy free by using a dairy free milk such as almond, cashew, or coconut milk. If you really need to avoid all dairy completely, just leave off the butter at the end.
After years of using dairy free milk on breakfast cereal, I don't actually like the taste of regular milk anymore. I do still like butter, though. Fortunately for me, my problem is with the casein in cows' dairy, so I can still enjoy butter. Yay!
How to Prepare Overnight Oats
1. Spread out berries and apples in pan.
2. Layer on the oat mixture.
3. Pour over pecan and raisins mixture.
4. Pat on butter, if desired, and bake.
More Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Sweet Potatoes and Sausage
- Sweet and Salty Gluten Free Granola
- Instant Pot Porridge
- Fluffy Gluten Free Pancakes
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes
- Gluten Free Granola
- Carrot Cake Baked Overnight Oatmeal
- 9" X 13" pyrex baking dish
- 4 cups frozen mixed berries (1 600 g package)
- 3 cups apples peeled and chopped
- 3 cups coarse gluten free oats
- ½ cup coconut sugar or raw cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sultana raisins
- ¾ cup pecans pieces
- ¼ cup cubed butter (optional, omit for dairy free)
- Butter the inside of a 3-quart casserole dish or 9" X 13" oblong glass baking pan.
- Evenly spread the berries and chopped apples over the bottom of the dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the raisins and pecans and stir into the liquid mixture. Pour it slowly and evenly over the other layers in the baking dish.
- Optionally, sprinkle cubes of butter over the top.
- Cover with lid, foil, or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 375° F. Remove the casserole from refrigerator and uncover it. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Sounds delicious. Will make for weekend breakfast.
Thank you, Kris! Enjoy!