Baked Carrot Cake Overnight Oatmeal is a wholesome treat for a special breakfast. This hearty breakfast of oatmeal has added carrot and pineapple with a skim of cream cheese frosting melted over the top. Make it with gluten free oats if necessary. It’s also refined-sugar-free and dairy free without the frosting.
This is the perfect breakfast to serve when you have overnight guests and want to present a warm breakfast in the morning with minimal fuss. My daughter Leah came up with the idea for her family, and I’ve just tweaked her recipe a little. We had enjoyed Baked Overnight Oats with berries when we were together at Christmas time, and this recipe is a wonderful variation of that one.
Put it together the day before, cover, and refrigerate it overnight. It’s ready to pop into the oven first thing in the morning. Put on the coffee, set the table, and enjoy lingering over breakfast with your family or friends.
Is oatmeal gluten free?
Simply put, oatmeal is not gluten free unless the label says it is. While oats do not naturally contain gluten, they are regularly affected by cross-contamination. And yes, there is enough gluten in them to harm a celiac or gluten intolerant person. Certified gluten free oats, which are labeled as such, have been carefully monitored every step of the way from growing conditions, through processing, packaging, and delivery to ensure purity. Read more about this in the paragraph about Oats in my Start Here page.
How to Make Baked Overnight Oatmeal
Layer the carrots and pineapple in an oiled pan.
Combine the oats and other dry ingredients and spread them over the first layer.
Stir together the remaining ingredients, pour the mixture over the oats, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
Set the butter and cream cheese out the night before to come to room temperature if you’ll be baking this first thing in the morning.
In the morning, bake the oatmeal and beat the cream cheese frosting.
While the oat dish is still warm, spread the frosting over it all to serve.
What to do with leftovers
If you have any Carrot Cake Oatmeal leftover, store it in the refrigerator. It reheats nicely another day. You can put just the amount you’ll be eating in a small covered casserole dish and heat it for 10 to 15 minutes in a 350 F oven or toaster oven.
Alternatively, steam a splash of nondairy milk in the bottom of a heavy saucepan with a well-fitting lid, add the oatmeal and heat it on low, covered, for 10 or 15 minutes.
You might also like
Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
- 13 x 9 x 2 in. (33 x22.8 x 5 cm) pyrex baking dish
- 3 cups (150 g) shredded carrots
- 1 14 oz. can (400 g) crushed pineapple drained
- 3 cups (180 g) coarse oats gluten free, if necessary
- 2 teaspoons (5.22 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.42 g) fine sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (96 g) coconut sugar
- 2 cups (473 mL) dairy free milk of choice
- 1/2 cup (118 mL) avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (85 g) unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
- 1 cup (145 g) sultana raisins
- 3/4 cup (75 g) walnuts
Frosting (optional, omit for dairy free)
- 4 ounces (113 g) cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup (56.7 g) butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (11 g) coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon (21 g) honey
- Butter (or oil, for dairy free) a 13 x 9 x 2 in. (33 x 22.8 x5 cm) baking dish.
- Layer the shredded carrots and drained, crushed pineapple over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Mix together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the carrots and pineapple.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the coconut, raisins, and nuts. Pour this over the other ingredients in the pan.
- Cover with a lid, foil, or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove the covering and bake in a preheated 375°F (190 C) oven for 30 minutes.
Frosting (optional, omit for dairy free)
- While the oatmeal is baking, Beat the softened butter and cream cheese together along with the coconut sugar and honey.
- As soon as you remove the oat dish from the oven, spread a thin layer of frosting over it all.
- Serve warm.
The nutritional facts include the optional frosting.