Gluten Free Carrot Cake sweetened with pineapple, raisins, and a little honey is a satisfying family favourite of ours. Depending on the frosting, it can even be dairy-free!
Editor’s Note: Since being published, this recipe has become one of the most popular recipes on the blog!Gluten Free Carrot with Pineapple and Coconut
My First Blogging Heroine
Elana Amsterdam was my first blogging heroine. I discovered her site, Elana’s Pantry, in my very early days of eating gluten free. Hers is the first blog I followed regularly and still do to this day. I purchased two of her cookbooks, The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook and Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry. Her almond flour recipes are simple and delicious! (Elana has recently developed a new carrot cake recipe using coconut flour.)
Evolution of a Gluten Free Carrot Cake
I still break out the almond flour for special occasions such as those that call for a frosted carrot cake! At first, I used to simply follow the Classic Carrot Cake recipe in The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. However, my family began to ask for the pineapple that I had put into carrot cake in pre-gluten free days. Gradually over the years, I’ve made other changes. Our old recipe contained coconut, so that made it’s way into the new one. Some of our family prefer not to have nuts in cake, so they disappeared. I’ve made other changes too, so eventually it became a completely different cake. However, I will always be grateful to Elana for the inspiration!Slice it up and enjoy!
Cream Cheese Frosting
Sometimes, I have frosted this gluten free almond flour carrot cake with Elana’s Cream Cheese Frosting made of cream cheese, cream, maple syrup, and vanilla. I like that it’s not loaded with icing sugar as my old recipe was. It’s soft and delicious, so a great one to use if you’re okay with dairy.
For the cake in these photos, I used Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting (dairy-free, naturally sweetened) from Erin at Texanerin.com and sprinkled coconut flakes on top.
I’ve also used Elana Amsterdam’s Creamy Coconut Frosting from her book The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. This recipe calls for a cup of agave nectar. I use honey instead. I have noticed Elana transitioning away from agave nectar since the printing of this book.
Not sure whether you should have dairy or not? or gluten? Maybe another food is causing you issues. Discover improved health with the Elimination Diet Meal Plan. Read about my experience with the Meal Plan here.
If you make this gluten free carrot cake, I’d love to hear which frosting you choose.
If you haven’t already done so, be sure that your kitchen is set up for safe gluten free food preparation. You have a few options for going about this.
More Gluten Free Cake Recipes
- Gluten Free Vanilla Cake
- Fruit Cocktail Cake
- Cheesecake with Pumpkin
- Angel Food Cake
- Applesauce Spice Cake with Raisins
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
Equipment and Supplies for This Recipe
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Carrot Cake with Pineapple and Coconut
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 14 oz. 398 mL can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Oil two 9-inch cake pans with avocado oil. (I use a pastry brush to spread it around.) Then, dust the pans generously with almond flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk or beat the egg yolks. Then whisk in the oil and honey. Stir this wet mixture into the dry mixture.
- Stir in the carrots, pineapple, raisins, and coconut.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Gently stir about one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into the batter. Then very carefully fold in the remaining whites.
- Pour batter into the two prepared pans. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pans for one hour before removing. Frost as desired.