Gluten free, dairy free burritos can be hard to find, so I'm very happy to share the homemade burritos that I've been enjoying with you. Naturally, you may vary your own ingredients according to personal preference. It's great to have a favourite standby that doesn't compromise your dietary requirements.
These burritos are free from all grains and dairy. The degree to which you make your own ingredients or use purchased ones is up to you.
Gluten Free Tortillas
You can use whatever tortillas you like for wrapping around your burrito filling, but my preference is this Gluten Free Tortilla recipe that my daughter developed. They're as easy to make as pancakes, and have a slightly stretching quality that makes them perfect for wrapping and holding.
Simply brown a pound of ground beef with taco seasoning. Make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning or use any taco seasoning you might have on hand. Just double check to make sure it's gluten free, if necessary.
I added some minced onion that I happened to have on hand, but that step is certainly optional. I've made these successfully with or without the onion.
Use your rice of choice, cooked according to the package directions.
You could use roasted peppers from a jar, if you wish. However, roasting your own is very easy. Just take a pepper in the colour of your choice. I sliced two half peppers for variety in colour, and chopped up the remainder to set aside for salad.
Okay, so technically this isn't roasting. However, it give you a similar result without heating up your oven.
Heat up a skillet nice and hot. Add a splash of heat-tolerant oil such as avocado oil, and toss in the pepper slices. You'll have nice, slightly charred peppers in moments.
I use canned black beans. You could certainly cook the beans from scratch, if you wish. Kenji Lopez-Alt says in this article on cooking black beans that you don't need to soak black beans before cooking, so that's good news!
I use salsa from a jar. Choose the heat level that you prefer. If you happen to have a homemade salsa that you like, I'm sure it would work well here.
I used my dairy free Vegan Cashew Yogurt to make my burritos. Again, you can use your yogurt of choice, dairy free or otherwise.
Cilantro definitely is an individual taste that varies from one person to another. I enjoy it a lot, but if you don't, leave it out.
Peel and slice your avocado fresh, just before serving. Avocados tend to darken quickly once they're open. If you squeeze a little lime juice over your avocado slices, they will stay fresh a little longer.
I like a little squeeze of lime on my burrito while I'm eating it. My husband doesn't tolerate citrus well, so he skips that step.
Your Individual Burritos
What do you like best on your burritos? Do yours need to be free from gluten or grains and dairy? Let me know in the comments following the recipe card. 🙂
How to Assemble Homemade Burritos
Slightly char strips of bell pepper in a lightly-oiled pan.
For each serving, set out a nice, big, soft tortilla.
Spread some seasoned ground beef across the centre of the tortilla.
Add some rice over the beef.
Arrange strips of bell peppers.
Add some beans.
Next, spread on the salsa.
Drizzle on some yogurt.
Sprinkle on chopped cilantro.
Add avocado slices drizzled in lime juice.
Begin to wrap burrito by folding one side of the tortilla over the filling.
Turn up the bottom of the burrito.
Finally, turn in the second side of the tortilla, completing the wrapping of your burrito.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Burritos
- Cast iron pan
- 8 fresh grain free tortillas
- 1 yellow, cooking onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) avocado oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 coloured bell pepper sliced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) avocado oil
- 1 19 oz. (540 mL) can black beans drained
- ½ cup (125 mL) salsa
- ½ cup (125 mL) cashew yogurt
- 1 avocado sliced
- lime juice to squeeze over avocado
- ¼ cup (4 g) fresh cilantro chopped
- lime wedges for garnish
- If rice hasn't already been cooked, get it started first.
- Place a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add first amount of oil. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring for a minute or two. Add the ground beef and taco seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is all brown with no pink remaining.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Warm them in a saucepan over medium-low heat with just a little water to keep them from sticking.
- Place another heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add second amount of oil. Add sliced peppers. Let them char a little before stirring. Once they've nicely charred in a few places, remove them from the heat.
- Slice the avocado and drizzle lime juice over the slices.
- Assemble the burritos by spreading a little of each filling ingredient in a line across the centre of each tortilla. Be careful not to use too much, or they will be difficult to wrap.
- Fold one side of a tortilla over the line of filling. Turn up the bottom. Fold over the opposite, and hold the burrito in your hands to eat it.