Sweet but tangy gluten free Watermelon Salad is super easy to toss together with only four ingredients! You can make this simple, refreshing summertime treat in ten minutes or less!
I love this salad because I can throw it together so quickly! And who doesn't love watermelon! Watermelon can be a messy food, usually to be eaten outdoors, but this salad is a little more refined.
This is a vegan salad, so it's free from dairy and eggs as well as gluten, nuts and soy. It was one of those happy accidents that sometimes happens in the kitchen through experimenting with the ingredients I happened to have on hand. As we were chopping up a fresh watermelon to enjoy, I tried a little of this and a little of that until I felt it had reached perfection!
Only 4 Ingredients!
- Watermelon - Choose a fresh ripe watermelon. It should feel heavy for its size, have a nice, creamy yellow spot where it sat on the ground, and should give a deep, hollow sound when you tap it. A "seedless" watermelon is preferred.
- Blueberries - Use fresh blueberries. I don't recommend frozen ones here.
- Basil - A few leaves freshly plucked from a basil plant add wonderful flavour and aroma. The smaller, newer leaves taste best.
- Balsamic Vinegar - A good quality balsamic vinegar is important here. Experiment to discover what kind you like best. I've used both red and white ones. The last time I made this salad, I used a nice, white, peach balsamic. It was delicious!
Quick, Easy Instructions
Chop some watermelon.
Add some blueberries.
Sprinkle on a little chopped basil.
Drizzle with a good balsamic vinegar.
Frequently Asked Questions
This dairy free salad is very healthy. According to watermelon.org, watermelon is a great source of Vitamin B6 for the immune system, Vitamin A for healthy skin, potassium for water balance, and lycopene for antioxidant power.
Blueberries are very high in antioxidants.
Feel free to experiment with adding other things to your salad - maybe some berries or other fruit.
Can you make watermelon salad ahead?
Yes, you can make this a day ahead and store it in the refrigerator if you reserve the basil to add just before serving.
How long does watermelon salad last?
Leftovers will keep overnight in the refrigerator, but the quality will be best if you can only put basil on what you will be eating right away.
What can I do with leftover watermelon?
If you have more fresh watermelon that you won't be using right away after making this salad, you can freeze it in cubes for a Watermelon Slushie.
More Refreshing Summer Salads
If you add anything else to your salad, I'd love to hear about it in the comments below!
- 4 cups watermelon cubed
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Chop watermelon flesh into bite-sized chunks.
- Sprinkle blueberries and chopped basil over the watermelon.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over all and toss gently.