Roasted Beets and Carrots is an easy way to prepare and enjoy two delicious root crops. This is a gluten free, vegan recipe with only six ingredients, including the salt and pepper!
Sheet pan roasting is one of the easiest ways to let your vegetables take care of themselves while you put the finishing touches on a meal. Simply toss them in oil with salt and pepper, pop them into the oven, and forget about them until the timer goes off half an hour later!
If your oven is busy, try Instant Pot Beets.
Roasted Beets and Carrots Ingredients
- Beets - Choose fresh beets that are smooth and firm. Smaller ones are more tender than large ones.
- Carrots - Look for firm, plump carrots without little strings on the bottom.
- Olive Oil - The best olive oil is "extra-virgin" and comes in a dark glass or metal container.
- Salt - Coarse sea salt adds a nice touch.
- Pepper - Freshly ground pepper has the most flavour.
- Yogurt - To add interest to the presentation, drizzle the finished vegetables with some of my Vegan Cashew Yogurt just before serving. Plain Greek yogurt from the store will work well, too.
For the exact amounts and detailed recipe instructions, scroll down to the end of this post, or click the Jump to Recipe button at the top.
What goes well with roasted beets?
Well, carrots go well with roasted beets! That's why I'm pairing them here.
According to the Flavor Bible, beets benefit from butter, cheese, lemon, mustard, olive oil, pepper, salt, shallots, tarragon, vinegar, walnuts, or yogurt. For the vegan or dairy free among us, I recommend my Vegan Cashew Yogurt topping.
What is the easiest way to peel beets?
There are various hacks for slipping the skin off cooked beets. However, you'd need to leave the beets whole, so you're not fiddling with tiny bits. It takes a long time to cook a whole beet!
Peeling a raw beet is not difficult! It's a little messy, because your hands will turn purple, but not difficult. I simply chop off the top and bottom ends and pull a nice, sharp peeler down each side. My Oxo Swivel Peeler serves my well.
Health Benefits of Beets
Beets are a great low-calorie source of fibre, folate (for normal tissue growth and cell function), and vitamin C. Did you know that consuming beets can lower your blood pressure? They may also help to fight inflammation and improve digestive health.
Health Benefits of Carrots
Carrots are rich in antioxidants, which may help to prevent cancer and heart disease. They contain beta carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the body. The popular orange (usually) vegetable is also a good source of fibre. Natural sugars found in carrots help them to taste good, but they don't tend to raise the blood sugar level quickly after eating them.
Roasted Beets and Carrots
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pound beets peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup cashew yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop your peeled beets into chunks the size of grapes.
- Cut the carrots into sticks approximately the same thickness as the beets.
- Toss them in oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the coated vegetables over a large baking sheet, leaving space between the pieces. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Drizzle cashew yogurt over hot vegetables to serve.