Here's a fresh green salad that's bursting with flavour! Tart grapefruit tempered by sweet apple and carrot blend together beautifully with a honey mustard dressing in this grapefruit salad with greens. It can be prepped and assembled in minutes!
I love this salad because it's a little unusual. It makes an appealing, elegant arrangement with minimal effort. Serve it with chicken, lamb, or pork. And, notice that it suits gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and vegetarian (not served with meat, of course!) diets.
What You'll Need for This Recipe
- Lettuce - I like to buy a pre-washed, spring greens mixture that's ready to use. However, you could choose any leaf lettuce, wash it, and tear up the leaves.
- Grapefruit - Red grapefruit is a little sweeter than white or pink. If you'd like to avoid the tartness often associated with grapefruit, look for a red one.
- Pecans - Raw pecan halves work nicely. If you prefer to use candied pecans, just double check to be sure they are gluten free, if necessary.
How to Make Grapefruit Salad
Cut carrot into thin sticks resembling matchsticks and arrange them over lettuce on serving plate(s).
Add sliced radishes.
Top that with apple slices.
Then arrange your grapefruit segments over the salad.
Scatter on some pecan halves.
Drizzle salad dressing over it all, and serve.
You can certainly prepare the salad dressing ahead. You could also cut up the carrot, radishes, and grapefruit an hour or two before serving. If you want to slice the apple ahead of time, keep it doused in salad dressing in the refrigerator to slow down the browning process.
Using a sharp knife, slice off the top and bottom of the fruit taking little more than the peel. Stand it on one end and cut away the peel from top to bottom, working your way around the grapefruit. Then, cut out individual segments from as close to the membrane as you can. Amanda at Heartbeet Kitchen has an excellent tutorial with photos.
This recipe for grapefruit salad with greens first appeared this summer in the inaugural edition of the Salad Gazette, a collaboration of recipe creators from around the globe. Download your own free copy to get the 30 other recipes. Not all of them are gluten free, but being salads, naturally most of them are.
More Fresh Salad Recipes
- Personalized Garden Salad with Herb Vinaigrette
- Broccoli Bacon Slaw
- Watermelon Salad with Blueberries and Basil
Grapefruit Salad with Greens
- 2 cups (78 g) leafy spring lettuce greens
- 1 carrot
- 1 apple, unpeeled
- 1 pink or red grapefruit
- 3 radishes
- 2 tablespoons (14 g) pecan pieces
- ¼ cup (59 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey
- 1 small clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and mince the garlic finely.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, or combine them in a jar and shake them together.
- Cut the carrot into matchstick-sized pieces. Core and slice the apple, but don’t peel it. Cut the peel away from the grapefruit and cut it into segments. Remove the ends from the radishes and slice them thinly.
- Arrange lettuce into serving bowl or plate. Layer on carrots, radishes, apples, and grapefruit. Sprinkle on pecans. Drizzle with salad dressing.
- This salad is very pretty arranged on individual plates.
- You may have salad dressing left over, which you can save for another purpose.