This easy, full-flavoured, tangy barbecue sauce recipe is made without ketchup, so it's low in sugar. Simply combine tomato sauce, paste, a little maple syrup, molasses, and some spices into a simmering sauce. You'll have fresh bbq sauce in 15 or 20 minutes!
I love that I can have the real tomato flavours without all the sugar in this gluten free barbecue sauce recipe. It's simple to make with canned ingredients and dried spices, and it tastes delicious!
This sauce is perfect for slathering over Easy Oven Baked Ribs.
What You'll Need for BBQ Sauce without Ketchup
- Tomato Sauce - I use tomato sauce without added sugar.
- Tomato Paste - I also use pure tomato paste with no sugar added to it.
- Vinegar - Apple cider vinegar gives your barbecue sauce a nice flavour.
- Molasses - Fancy molasses is a lighter, sweeter product than blackstrap molasses.
- Worstershire Sauce - Use gluten free Worstershire sauce if this recipe needs to be free from gluten.
- Paprika - I prefer the taste of smoked paprika. If you can't find it, you may substitute it with regular paprika.
How to Make Homemade BBQ Sauce with Tomato Sauce
- Simply stir together all of the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Once your sauce reaches a simmer, turn down the heat. Stirring occasionally, let it simmer to thicken, about 10 to 15 minutes.
BBQ Sauce Recipe FAQ's and Tips
A simmer is the point where a liquid is almost at a boil. There will be a few tiny bubbles breaking here and there on the surface. In a full boil, the surface is completely covered with constantly rolling bubbles.
Ketchup typically has a lot of sugar in it. It's easy to make your own barbecue sauce from scratch, highlighting the natural tomato flavours that have been condensed into tomato sauce and tomato paste. Enhance this with some wonderful spices, and you don't need to rely on sugar for good taste.
Simple Grilling Recipes
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Simple BBQ Sauce
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 5.5 ounces tomato paste
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup fancy molasses
- 2 tablespoons Gluten Free Worstershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until the mixture just barely comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Use right away or store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week.