Gluten Free Applesauce Spice Cake with Raisins is a lovely, moist coffee cake for you to enjoy as a snack or to send to school in the kids’ lunches. This recipe is free from grains and dairy, but you’d never know it! For a nut free treat, you might also like Gluten Free Applesauce Muffins with Raisins or Gluten Free Date Squares with Raisins.
While I enjoy this treat anytime, fall is the perfect time of year for a spiced cake. The apple harvest is coming in. Maybe you even make your own applesauce. Some chopped, peeled apples simmered in a little water for a few minutes will do the trick nicely. Once the apples are soft, mash them together with the water, and it’s ready. However, if you want to buy a jar of unsweetened applesauce already prepared, go for it!
I like the sweet moistness that soft, juicy raisins add to the mix. Are you a fan of raisins? Some people like them and some don’t.
My husband likes raisins. I actually developed this recipe at his request. He doesn’t need to eat gluten free, but he likes to eat my gluten free baking. Now, I’m savouring gluten free applesauce spice cake, and I hope you do, too!
Making this recipe? Tag me on Instagram with a picture! #CathysGlutenFree
Key Tips for Making Gluten Free Applesauce Spice Cake Recipe
Bring Ingredients to Room Temperature
For best results, bring the eggs, applesauce, and flours to room temperature before preparing this cake. I store my almond and coconut flours in the refrigerator, so this is important. If the applesauce has been opened, it will have been refrigerated, too.
Coconut Oil Should Be Liquid
Your coconut oil should be liquid. For most of the year in Canada, this means that we need to melt it. If you put some into a heat proof container and set it in your preheating oven for a couple of minutes, it will soften up nicely. Pull it out before it’s all melted and gets too hot. Stir it up and let it sit to finish melting. You don’t want it to be too hot when you add it to the batter, or it will cook your eggs prematurely. If you’ve brought your other ingredients up to room temperature, your coconut oil should stay liquid as you stir it in.
Are you unsure about whether or not you should be gluten free?
The elimination diet meal plan is a great way to find out and give your health a reboot at the same time!
Gluten Free Applesauce Spice Cake with Raisins
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup organic raw sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce at room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut oil liquid
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups raisins
- Grease an 8-inch by 8-inch pyrex cake pan with coconut oil.Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients except for raisins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in the applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry. Then stir in the raisins.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Test for doneness by poking the cake with a fork or toothpick near the centre. If it comes out clean or brings cooked crumbs with it, the cake is done.