Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is a big, thick cookie for dessert! Think of a cross between a chocolate chip cookie and a brownie, or in this case, a blondie. Coconut sugar adds nice, rich caramel undertones. It's decadent served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
A cookie cake is just the thing for casual special occasions. I made one in a heart-shaped pan for Valentine's Day. Just choose a pan that's similar in size to the 9-inch round pan the recipe specifies.
Feel free to decorate your cake if you wish. I like mine as it is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. It tastes so good on it's own!
How to Make Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Line your pans with parchment.
Whisk dry ingredients.
Beat in sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Mix in dry ingredients.
Stir in chocolate chips and bake.
What Is the Best Gluten Free Flour for Baking Cookies?
You'll notice that I list specific flours in my recipes. Gluten free baking works best with a combination of flours. Fortunately, there are lots of gluten free flours available. Some are more appropriate for certain things than others. That's why I don't just list "gluten free flour mix" in my recipes. There are lots of mixes on the market, but they're not all alike. Each mix is made up of different flours. So, depending on which one you use the recipe may or may not turn out well. I would hate for you to make the recipe that I found to be delicious in my kitchen only to have disappointing results because the flours you used were very different. That's why I list the specific flours that I've found work well. I talk more about that in Gluten Free Flours.
Do Gluten Free Cookies Need Xanthan Gum?
Yes, I find that these giant cookies do need xanthan gum. It holds them together. That's what gluten in wheat flour does, so you'll see xanthan gum often used when we're trying to replicate the results that wheat flour gives. I don't always use xanthan gum in my recipes, and I did try this one without it. However, the cake was crumbly and tended to fall apart without the gum to hold it together.
What Chocolate Chips Are Gluten Free?
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
- Enjoy Life chocolate is certified gluten free
- Hu Gems Chocolate Vegan Snacks are also gluten free, according to the manufacturer
More Gluten Free Cake Recipes
- Gluten Free Vanilla Cake
- Fruit Cocktail Cake
- Cheesecake with Pumpkin
- Applesauce Spice Cake with Raisins
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch (NOT FLOUR)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Grease the sides of two round 9-inch layer cake pans. Line the bottoms of pans with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, starch, almond meal, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt).
- In a large bowl, cream the butter either with an electric mixer or by beating it well by hand.
- Add the coconut sugar and beat it in. Then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until completely blended.
- Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into the two pans. Bake for 20 minutes or until a fork or toothpick poked into the centre comes out clean and just a little warm
- Allow to cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack. Then turn the cakes out onto the cooling racks and remove the parchment paper to finish cooling. Serve warm or at room temperature.